Re: Thunder During Snow?

From: Mikko Rintasaari <mikrin_at_...>
Date: Sat, 06 Dec 2003 01:09:26 +0200 (EET)

> >Does it ever thunder during snow? What about lightning? What are some of
> >the more powerful or unusual effects of snow and snow storms? What do
> >(non-hibernating) animals do?

There was a night, here in the south of Finland, where we (especially now with the greenhouse effect) get rather mild winters.

This night though, it was rather cold. Parhaps -15 C or maybe -20 C (5 to -5 degrees Farenheit, apparently).

There vere two layers of clouds racing in different directions on the sky, and we were returning from a live RPG, my friends and me.

When we topped a hill, on a church cemetary (a nice shortcut here), the sky started flashing with silent thunder. The lightning was flashing between the cloudbanks, far away, and lighting up the magnificient stormy sky.

We stood there, in an almost religious awe for at least half an hour. Freezing out butts off. One friend of mine, a fairly regular guy, was inpired to treat it as a sort of personal augury, and certainly seemed to have made up his mind concerning some ladyfriend or other afterwords. :)

The old finnish name for the phenomenan is 'kalevan tuli', which I would translate 'The fires of Kalevala'.

Very Odinistic that, rather good for Orlanthi also =D

        -Adept