Re: More winter

From: donald_at_...
Date: Wed, 10 Dec 2003 02:19:52 GMT

In message <Pine.SOL.4.44.0312092045590.10709-100000_at_...> James Frusetta writes:

>In any case, the *best* winter horror of the film was about the man (I
>believe an oil field worker) who supposedly froze a hand solid, and
>managed to *shatter it* by trying to heat it over some superheated steam.
>Naturally, in a room full of 8-year-olds, we all said, "Wow! Awesome!"
>
>I don't know if that can actually *happen*, but it'd be a great story
>element... "Hey, Hrulf, come and warm up by the fire!" "Gee, thanks --
>snap, crackle, argh, argh! <splat>" Good and icky.

I can imagine it's true of superheated steam but not from a normal fire, rapid expansion of the blood in some parts while other parts were frozen could well do that. A damaging, but not visually so impressive, effect can be achieved by using hot water to thaw frozen extremities, basically you should use cold water until they have thawed out to avoid too sudden a thawing which can result in burst veins.

--
Donald Oddy
http://www.grove.demon.co.uk/