Re: Esrolian Questions

From: donald_at_...
Date: Tue, 16 Dec 2003 13:07:32 GMT

In message <brlklv+hdlc_at_...> "Jesse James Dean" writes:

>Anyway, after last nights play I am kind of curious as to what sort of
>role Vinga has in Esrolian society, with its focus on the Earth
>Pantheon, as opposed to Orlanthi society.
>
>I imagine that being a daughter of Orlanth is played upon quite abit
>less than her status as progeny of Ernalda (is Imarja another name for
>Ernalda?) Also with women in a dominant position I also imagine that
>Vinga probably has a much more prominent position locally than she
>does in say Sartar.

As I understand it Vinga is the main goddess for women soldiers in Esrolia. Babeester Gor is for fanatics, not the sort of person you put in charge so that leaves Vinga supplying most of the officers. Indeed I rather think that many of the units of Vingan spearwomen are officer training units used to sort out those worthy of promotion.

Imarja isn't Ernalda, as a general rule gods in Glorantha with different names are different gods although the great gods like Ernalda have aspects with different names. This is however clearly stated in the write-ups when it occurs. There are a lot of different gods performing similar functions so that you get Ernalda as the earth mother and Imarja as mother of Esrolia. There was an attempt by a group of people in Glorantha (the God Learners) to classify and align all the different gods into a comprehensible structure. Either for this or something else they were wiped out by a magical backlash which discouraged further research along those lines.

--
Donald Oddy
http://www.grove.demon.co.uk/