Re: Digest Number 1513

From: ian_hammond_cooper_at_...
Date: Wed, 17 Dec 2003 11:12:05 -0000

Simon Bray

>However after much debate these were dropped (or shelved) based
>on the premise that Esrolia is NOT a military orientated society.

My conception of the Esrolian warriors is that they are defensive not offensive (sort of like the Japanese Defence Foces) as befits 'another way' nation. So the Orlanth Allfather warrior subcults are good (Starkval and friends), but not the aggressive Orlanth Adventurous ones (Finovan, Vingkot).Similarly Vinga is good because she the Defender Storm, a protectress. Maran is more aggressive, and I suspect there might be tension between her followers and the more peaceful worshippers of Ernalda. I have trouble with Maran as a widesperead Esrolian cult (if you really want aggressive warrior women then I recommend you visit the Exiles - not that I want to plug In Wintertop's Shadow or anything) I would keep her there to sacred temple roles and those who cannot fit societal norms - someone has to sacrifice those year fathers after all.

In fact Japan may have some utility when thinking about Esrolia - a formerly militaristic nation that, following a crushing defeat, adopted a peaceful constitution. That is pretty much what happened to the Esrolians following the disasterous Helm and Sword War carnage anong the Heortlings. [And no I am nost suggesting that there are Japanese elements in Esrolian culture, more pointing at the similar shift in attitude based on a traumatic past experience].

Of course with troubles on their borders I think the Esrolians need to hire mercenaries (after all we know that the Exiles, Grazers, and Black Horse Troop hire out soldiers - the Empire is surely not their only market...) when they want to field military forces.