Re: Another Sartarite winter story

From: Trotsky <TTrotsky_at_...>
Date: Tue, 23 Dec 2003 17:07:39 +0000

HeroQuest-RPG_at_yahoogroups.com wrote:

>"Good King Wenceslas looked out...."
>
>"Mark my footsteps, good my page,
>Tread thou in them boldly
>Thou shalt find the winter's wind
>Freeze thy blood less coldly"
>
>Anyone want to tell me what sort of magic Wenceslas was using, and
>from what source? It sounds very useful to Sartarites even before
>Fimbulwinter hits.

It's the word 'page' that's the clue here, methinks. Your typical Sartarite lout, and even their so-called 'kings' that rule from those oversized cowsheds, doesn't typically have a page like we civilised types. Clearly Good King Wenceslas is using the magic of St Bertorl, patron saint of missionaries, whose magic includes both 'Ignore Cold' and 'Find the Path' (he worked in Fronela, where, as you might imagine, both came in rather handy). And there are Bertorli in Dragon Pass too - and I bet they'd go round giving poor people winter fuel, just to show the inherent niceness and superiority of their religion. So what sort of magic? Sorcery of course! Huzzah!

Um... why are you Heortlings looking at me like that? *Edges away*

--
Trotsky
Gamer and Skeptic