Re: Re: Naval Encounters

From: donald_at_...
Date: Tue, 30 Dec 2003 12:16:22 GMT

In message <s4f1vvkkntv8prbvfgqbmrc6hoi85k59f5_at_...> Stephen Tempest writes:
>"Ian Cooper" <ian_hammond_cooper_at_...> writes:
>
>>If you want larger bonuses you need rituals. And rituals do take
>>hours of time (don't have the exact numbers to hand).
>
>The visible horizon at sea in our world* is 5 miles from a ship's
>deck, perhaps 10 miles from the mast-top. Your average wooden sailing
>ship propelled by a moderate breeze can sail at maybe 5 miles per hour
>- so that's 1-2 hours warning - minimum. If the ship has to tack
>against the wind to reach you, you'll have double that time.
>
>This, of course, assumes you don't take evasive action. If the enemy
>ship's behind you and trying to catch up, you might have _days_ of
>time before it eventually overhauls you. Plenty of time for a ritual.
>Not to mention the days of rituals you engaged in before setting off,
>while your more mundane colleagues were giving the ship its regular
>maintenance...
>
>(* I'm assuming for the sake of argument that the horizon is the same
>in Glorantha, even if the explanation is radically different)
>
>Of course, friendly Mist Spirits hiding the pirates' approach, or
>Triolini pushing their ship, can make a big difference...

You're also assuming the pirates are using sail, in the ancient world oars were more common because they were faster for short distances. Indeed the Barbary pirates were still using oars into the 19th Century. This also indicates that pirates are most likely along coasts, hiding among islands and inlets rather than sailing the open seas. Of course there is also the question of how often ships sail out of sight of land in Glorantha. I would imagine Mostali ships do but probably not many others.

Surely any competent pirates will have some magic to enable them to intercept other shipping rapidly. Equally the average merchantman won't have anything beyond the captain's magic so a bunch of PCs on a merchantman is going to be a nasty shock for the pirates.

>>At this point IIRC the Wolf Pirates dominate the Homeward Ocean.
>>They are ruthless, deadly, and motivated by plunder.
>
>"and scavenge the seas in hordes thousands strong", to (mis)quote
>Greg. Presumably the Wolf Pirates either:
>a) don't, actually, dominate the seas
>or
>b) Aren't as ruthless and deadly as Harrek's propagandists like to
>point out
>(since otherwise they would soon wipe out all legitimate merchant
>shipping from the oceans)
>or
>c) They really *are* as powerful and deadly as stated, but the
>situation is highly temporary and grossly unstable. Pretty soon now,
>the trade ships will stop sailing, the Wolf Pirates will run out of
>plunder and start to starve, and Harrek will have to dump them and
>find a new career - preferably somewhere far inland, and nice and
>mountainous with no coastline...

I would think the answer is c). The wolf pirates sack at least one city which implies they were strong enough to do so and possibly having run out of merchant ships to take. A bit later Harrek turns up with his crew in Dragon Pass intent on plundering the Lunars. I don't think anyone has explained what happens to the rest of the pirates. Without Harrek they probably aren't as deadly anyway.

--
Donald Oddy
http://www.grove.demon.co.uk/