Re: Re: Naval Encounters

From: Agent Groove <coridan_at_...>
Date: Tue, 06 Jan 2004 01:05:33 -0500

This talk about Buserian has led me to some thinking -

I think that a strong case can be made for Manirian sailors, mostly from Esrolia, worshipping Orlanth strongly, while propriating Magasta and the hungry sea.

Orlanth is the master of winds. He and the Storm Tribe defeated Magasta and his tribe. The King of Winds would seem to be to be the sailor's friend. I suppose that Gloranthan Sailor Lore may have the Sea Storms as mighty battles being waged between Orlanth and Magasta over the fate of Sea Weather, with Calm being when Brastalos appears, keeping peace between her brother and her husband.

I'd imagine that Holy Country ships would offer lucrative places to Storm Voices who could command the clouds and winds to give fair sailing to those coastal vessels. There has also been mention of some Orlanth worship in Pamaltela (although I'm not sure what the official canon is in regards to Orlanth worship in Pamaltela is these days), and I'd imagine that Storm worship would be popular there as a sailor's religion. It makes much more sense that it would be Orlanth that would grant good weather, instead of Magasta. Magasta is the lord of what is *below* the waves.

Storm Voices may be a precious commodity.