Re: Re: City of 10,000 Magicians

From: Stephen Tempest <e-g_at_...>
Date: Wed, 07 Jan 2004 22:49:45 +0000

"Guy Hoyle" <ghoyle1_at_...> writes:

>Wonder what actally happens to the city? Do the walls just come a-tumblin'
>down, or does Something Really Nasty erupt from beneath it? And perhaps
>there's a Dark Hidden Secret explaining why this happens in the first
>place? And maybe they were collecting info on the EWF in an effort to
>avert their doom? (Sounds like a magician pissed off a dragon, to me.)

Of course, a classic adventure seed is the Sinister Lunar Patron who *wants* to bring the city down, and is looking for Heroes who qualify as "magicians" to smuggle themselves into the city.

Preferably dumb barbarian magicians (eg Heortlings) who've no clue about the local mythology, of course, and only discover the truth once it's too late.

Or alternatively, the SLP has access to ancient prophecies about what will arise in the place of the City, and persuades the heroes that it will be a Good Thing (at least for him, if not for the world at large).

Random nasty thought: perhaps the 10,000th magician to walk through the gate will achieve instant apotheosis, empowered by the souls of the other 9,999 magicians (living or dead) which are consumed to feed the new divinity... :)

Stephen