City of 10k magicians

From: Svechin_at_...
Date: Thu, 8 Jan 2004 13:28:02 EST

In a message dated 1/8/2004 8:30:11 AM Pacific Standard Time, HeroQuest-RPG_at_yahoogroups.com writes:
> >Wonder what actally happens to the city? Do the walls just come a-tumblin'

> >down, or does Something Really Nasty erupt from beneath it? And perhaps
> >there's a Dark Hidden Secret explaining why this happens in the first
> >place? And maybe they were collecting info on the EWF in an effort to
> >avert their doom? (Sounds like a magician pissed off a dragon, to me.)

The section in ILH 1 was originally a bit longer when sent in but for space reasons was cut, this is the far longer version I have on file:

City of 10,000 Magicians (small) 4,000
This ancient city was built during the height of EWF power in the region as a centre of magical research, facilitated by its location on the head of a deeply buried true dragon and the magical energies from its slumbering mind give any magics performed in the city both a boost in power as well as a potentially curved result that can lead to breakthroughs and interesting research options.

However, the Dragon is only slumbering, and the magicians in the city long ago determined that the dragon would surface to "snack" should a large enough magical concentration arouse its hunger, something that is closely monitored. Through extensive research they determined that the magical energy of 10000 ordinary magicians (ie around 5w in power) when focussed in the city would be enough to cause the dragon to rise and eat the city. Unfortunately many of the magicians in the city are significantly stronger than 5w and this has to be taken into account, as has the magical energy of any bound spirits, daimons, magical items etc when determining the number of magicians in the city. Therefore the only way into the city, is to either have no magic or to replace an existing occupant. In addition the would be entrant can only replace a person who dies who is of a comparable energy level to them. Those with sufficient wealth can literally buy their way in because there are always magicians in the city who would leave given sufficient enducement. There are always those who have finished their studies for the most part and would move on. Others get thrown out due to running short of funds - everything in the city is extremely expensive, rent, food and entertainment - or scholarly indiscretions.

Within an old hillfort outside but within sight of the towering city walls there is a town built to house the many scholars, often from distant lands, who patiently wait their turn to enter the city. The town is called Veyerm in Old Wyrmish, meaning "Expectation".

The city council, known as the Keepers of the Muse supports the city through the revenues gained from the scholars who come to the city. Food and other sundries enter the city thanks to a special caste of locals called the Nulled, men and women with no magical power who wear a collar that both donates their status and stops them learning any magic while wearing it.

The Lunar College of Magic has a strong presence in the city that increases every year, meaning less and less spaces for other expectant scholars. This has caused some scuffles in Veyerm due to the very strong passions among those awaiting entry who see their places filled by Lunar potentates.

The city is heavily defended with potent magics, Wyvern riders, who form the elite Muse Guard 200 strong, and walls built at the height of EWF power and knowledge.

Martin Laurie