Re: City of 10k magicians

From: David Dunham <david_at_...>
Date: Sat, 10 Jan 2004 13:03:30 -0800

Martin

>Through extensive research they determined that the magical energy of 10000
>ordinary magicians (ie around 5w in power) when focussed in the city would be
>enough to cause the dragon to rise and eat the city. Unfortunately
>many of the
>magicians in the city are significantly stronger than 5w and this has to be
>taken into account, as has the magical energy of any bound spirits, daimons,
>magical items etc when determining the number of magicians in the city.
>Therefore the only way into the city, is to either have no magic or
>to replace an
>existing occupant.

I think I prefer the original version (which is essentially retained in ILH-1), which was "it would last until ten thousand magicians had entered its gates." After all, it was a Small City, which has at most 3000 residents. There's no way it can hold 10000 magicians at one time.

I imagine Martin changed it so that the city doesn't die out (since it was said to have been closed to outsiders). Well, if it kills itself off through slow population attrition, that's OK by me. In any case, I don't think it will survive whatever fate it's fated to have.

--

David Dunham