Re: City of 10,000 Magicians

From: Trotsky <TTrotsky_at_...>
Date: Mon, 12 Jan 2004 18:06:58 +0000

HeroQuest-RPG_at_yahoogroups.com wrote:

>>What I can say is, Heroquest Rulebook doesn't support sorcerers, as
>>an exception.
>>

>It doesn't?!

Well, not really - they're not that common.

>Is it intended that they be covered in a regional books in the future?

They will be in the Lords of the West series, book 1 of which is currently being written (but which is a long way from publication right now!)

>>Sorcerers are different from Wizards (and don't belong to any
>>Churches) and some are totally not Malkioni culturally (Orathorn,
>>Thalurzni alchemist, etc) or renegades of their ancestral way (like
>>Argin the Terror).
>>

>I am curious about how they are different. Is it simply in terms of
>their relationship with their society (I always thought that wizards
>worked to benefit their community, but that sorcerers where primarily
>exploitative) or is it something entirely different?

The key difference is that wizards work in some way as part of the Church, whereas sorcerers come from quite a different, essentially secular, tradition. Naturally this makes them pretty weird and distasteful from the POV of just about any other Gloranthan society. The Brithini magicians are sorcerers, for example, as are the Vadeli (among others). Not all sorcerers are necessarily exploitative, IMO, but most of them are, and almost everyone else thinks they *all* are! Rule mechanically, the difference isn't so great - I've set aside half a page for the subject in LotW1, and I reckon that'll probably do it as far as rules are concerned. Specific Orders will then be described as and when they're required, just like the the wizardly ones.

--
Trotsky
Gamer and Skeptic