Re: Re: Hero points : a narrator recants

From: KYER, JEFFREY <jeff.kyer_at_...>
Date: Fri, 08 Dec 2000 17:53:23 -0500

Graham Robinson wrote:
> Hero wars already has a system to handle that - improv. penalties. Given
> that you can already use any but the most unusual weapons at 3 to 5 points
> lower than the best weapon skill anyway, I don't see the point of the
> meta-abilities. Its just an extra rule, and one I'm happy to ignore.
>
> Cheers,
> Graham

True enough. But we found that after several months that just improvising off of a single abnormally high stat just didn't seem to work. My players were not happy with it and I found it unsatisfying myself. The problem was improve on improv -- particularly if you have a character who wants 2-3 different fighting styles AND gets cauht in positions where he doesn't have his ideal weapons choice -- see the main rules for an example of that and then plug in 'only one combat type' into the example. So I went back to the one in the book... I'm happy. My players are happy. But that's my game, of course.

Jeff