Re: AA vs KL

From: James Frusetta <gerakkag_at_...>
Date: Thu, 15 Jan 2004 10:32:00 -0500 (EST)

> In our campaign, a few pc's are trying to hurt the troll realm of Dagori
> Inkarth. They want to hit it big time and plan to strike directly at Kyger
> Litor herself.

And you haven't killed off these horrible players yet? Awk! : )

Several have already commented, but my 2 bolgs:

This is bad, bad, juju. IMO, the uz are *directly* implicated by KL's status -- she *is* the trollish race. Smacking down her cult hiearchy means that fertily rituals go haywire, etc., etc. If the various Great Mothers of the Tribe and Land are killed, it's going to basically mean disaster for *all trolls* there.

> 1) The problem is I have no clue how to play it out. They want to hurt KL
> way more than socially so I guess their investigation should lead them to
> some kind of hq.

Which *part* of KL? She's got seven cults now, not just one. <Laugh>

I would tenetively suggest that the AAites are going to "steer" the adventurers to weaken a specific aspect of the KL cult -- to help themselves. Korasting is too important to muck with, but weakening Karrg means less "security" and thus a greater roll for AA -- unless the ZZ cult moves in. Jakaboom would reduce magic, that might help the AAites. Jeset is too esoteric, unless the AAites see a way that AA (or an aspect?) could become the "bearer of the dead." Hombobobom isn't direct competition. Vaneekara's cult is too small. Hmm.

> 2) If they succeed, what kind of implication would it have? The females
> losing their social status at the expense of the more male oriented Argan
> Argar?

Depends on the scale. IMO, and only IMO, if the KL cult was only a little weakened (rituals disrupted, mid-level shamanesses killed, etc.), then suddenly fertility takes a nose-dive until the problems are corrected. Conflict breaks out within and between clans and tribes. Geneologies suddenly go into partial flux (which individual trolls take into account and manipulate). Bad stuff.

If they manage to do something major, like utterly violate key rituals, wipe out all the great mothers of the tribes, etc? Civil war breaks out. No new uz are born. Angry trolls turn to hideous alternatives (Subere, Zorak Zoran, etc.) and take their vengeance on their neighbors.

Sounds pretty dire, but if you attack the source of new life (children through the KL cult) and tick off trolls, they don't have any reason *not* to pull out the stops: what do they have to protect? They might as well just try to kill as many neighbors as they can. A dire and horrible scenario, of course -- too dire, but potential fun in terms of narration.

> 3) What is supposed to happen (in broad stokes) to the uzdom during the Hero
> Wars (just so MGWV not too dramatically?
Who knows? I'm all for the Ice Trolls of the Secret Kingdom of Betakang to link up with the Lost Fleets of Kogag, the Ghost Tribes of the Lost Ways emerge from cracks, and they gang up and thump humans from Thrice Blessed to the firey edges of Pamaltea, but I'm guessing Greg isn't. : )

Too many hoomans on the continent. Let's think out their numbers! Plus, get rid of those pesky mostali and aldryami. Yay!

CHeers,

James