Re: Re: AA vs KL

From: Peter Larsen <plarsen_at_...>
Date: Thu, 15 Jan 2004 13:17:48 -0500

At 04:06 PM 1/15/2004 +0000, nichughes2001 wrote:
>Hmm, irony doesn't always work on mailing lists does it?

         Well, mine didn't either, so who am I to complain.....

> > Anyway, the LBQ can't be the *only* way to bring heroes
>back from
> > the dead -- for one thing, it's a Theist (and largely Orlanthi)
>take on the
> > events.
> >I'm sure that Malkioni or Kralori questers would have a very
> > different approach to the problem.
>
>Quite possibly true[1] although I tend to assume that Heortlings
>interact with Dagori Inkarth trolls more often than Malkioni or
>Kralori questers. The AA faction would have a better chance of
>knowing of their (Orlanthi) myths sufficiently to have an idea what
>their most famous myth can do, especially as it was used on a locally
>famous troll hero. YGMV.

         Well, OK. Fair enough -- to get back to the original question for a second -- assuming the Narrator doesn't want to screw the Uz up royally, but wants to weaken KL a bit, maybe the PCs are encouraged to enact the Sandals of Darkness quest. It's a mythic "fact," so it doesn't weaken KL in any significant way, but maybe "losing the sandals" on one's watch is a bad career move for an ambitious Uz Queen. The AA cult can step in and say "Our Queen is a little weak, maybe she needs to be protected more, delegating interactions with the nasty surface dwellers to the ever helpful Surface Darkness." The AA cult wins and the KL cult loses without hurting KL herself. The sandal-stealers can, of course, be hunted down to prove how good the AA cultists are at tracking enemies....

>[1] Although as this is presented as the single most powerful and
>dangerous heroquest known to the Heortlings I would question the
>assumption that every culture must have a direct equivalent. That
>they have equally powerful and dangerous quests I do not doubt - the
>purpose and outcome of that quest may of course be very different.

         I would certainly hope so -- dragging people back from Solace or the Kralori heavens is probably not a good thing. (Although I expect that various Kralori heroes return (or refuse their reward) as bodhisattvas.) Still, most, if not all cultures, probably have a "How the World Was Set Right (or as Right as It Can Be)" myth -- they'd be very dangerous because failing, one assumes, erodes the myths that define the world....

Peter Larsen