Re: AA vs KL

From: John Hughes <nysalor_at_...>
Date: Thu, 15 Jan 2004 22:33:10 +1100

Wild idea! Brrrr!

This has surely got to be an scam - where did you say these AA came from?. :) Nice discussion though.

The conspiracy /heroquesting ideas are flying thick and fast, but I wonder what the level of the Heortling players (and their heroquesting ability/gullibility) is? Where do they meet these AA?

Its sounding so conspiratorial, multi-layered and, lets face it, confused and contradictory that Peloria *must* be involved. At several levels. From several factions. Each primarily trying to limit and confound the other. You can practically smell the mushrooms boiling.

At lower levels, (and lets face it, taking on the magics of Dagori Inkarth, including Cragspider and her pet dragon, is w6-w8 stuff, and heroquesting at lesser levels is gonna result in some minor effects, pissed off priestesses, and multiple Uz hero oppenents, but is very unlikely, IMHO, to accomplish an in-time marriage of deities or any appreciable change in the cosmic order.

The Only New One is a great idea, rich in possibilies. Especially if she was birthed by seven. Now there's a thought...

But I keep going back to the AAs and their real motivations. Usually, AA are best with hoomans, and they certainly know how to manipulate them. It all sounds like a collossal confidence trick against the players, but why? If its not a knowing or unknowing Lunar front, what are the trader-priests real motivations? To unite DA in fury against the petty hoomans and their

heroquesty weapons of mass destruction? To purge the borders of the insult
of those gleaming new Yelmalian altars? To remove those irritating barriers
to free trade between DI and the south? To start a tourist franchise to ski
Kero Finn?

Who knows, with Fimbulwinter, Dragon Pass will be starting to look pretty appealling. Perhaps its coming is a sign, prematurely interpreted by some who are not in Cragspider's inner circle, that the Darkness has returned, and Uz must reclaim it as of old.

But I keep coming back to Cragspider's dragon, sitting underneath a hole in the sky world, surrounded by hungry Uz.. By coincidence, northern Dragon Pass is filled with old ruins, (and powers that can communicate and teach) from a time when Orlanth was friend to the dragons, and when hoomans, sorry humans learned the tongues and magics of dragonkind.

I think this is a great and in some ways typical Hero Wars arc - involvement from suspect quarters, radical ideas that make a weird kind of sense, profound changes to the established way of doing things, discovery that the barriers of possibility are breaking down, incredibly destructive, unintended consequences for all, radical shifts in the balance of power, and a sense that when the dust settles, things can't get any worse.

They will, of course. It's written in the runes.

The Old World is burning, but I live by the sky-river.

Cheers

John

nysalor_at_...                              John Hughes
Questlines: http://home.iprimus.com.au/pipnjim/questlines/

The cloaked one's hero heat shakes wide the city wall. With feat and spear and magic bolt the final rite begins. War-band's white bull, a dragon in strife, Feeds he most fulsome the dogs of the Death-Lord.