Re: AA vs KL

From: jorganos <joe_at_...>
Date: Fri, 16 Jan 2004 18:00:18 -0000

<nick.hughes_at_a...> wrote:
>Andrew Solovay wrote:
> > (ahem) The Lightbringer's Quest *was* a Darkness approach to the
> problem.
> > The problem was: A dead sun god is sitting around in Wonderhome
> screwing
> > things up. The Darkness solution: Manipulate a bunch of those
> surface
> > assholes to come down and take the sun back.

> A particularly good take on the rule that all myths can be viewed
> differently from somebody else's perspective.

I've seen this reasoning applied to the Solar side. So it were the trolls all along?

> Saying that AA would kill and replace KL in order to gain influence
> would then be akin to saying that AA could kill and replace Orlanth
> to gain influence within the Storm Pantheon. This is surely not why
> or how the Kitori tribes differ from other Heortlings!

To begin with, the Kitori are not Heortlings. At best they could be described as Theyalans.

THere is the additional complication that Greg told us at Tentacles that they are neither human or troll, but something like another minor Elder Race. Apparently one able to breed true with either humans or trolls. Apparently able to prove their human or troll nature at need...

> I still think a recreation or return of the OOO makes a lot of sense
> as a central theme, you need someone to form the focus of the
> mundane and mythic shift in power. The idea that the questers are
> quite literally left holding the baby is one that appeals to me[1].

How would one do this, anyway?

Start from burning Wonderhome, lead a group of uz refugees up, bind a volcano god screwing the local earth goddess on the way, and get a child from said earth goddess?

That's the hard way, especially since you'll have to awaken the local volcano god first (and he's quite out of the way, if the Roundlakes are the nearest evident Volcano, so maybe better get a new volcano going?), and find that land goddess. Ernalda might serve as a substitute, but that's another bag of myths...

Or do it the Sartar way, eliminate the leader, and replace her with one of your companions transmuted to the divine being needed for this?  Not that this is an easy, self-evident method. Requires lots of research and lucky guessing.

Taking a Kitori along and presenting him (or in this case possibly better her) as the new leader might ease this.

My favourite ploy would be to sit out the birth of the prodigal child and replace it with a changeling of your own preparation, introducing the ONO as the new surface troll race. Be sure to power up your Eurmali...