Re: Re: AA vs KL

From: Stephen Tempest <e-g_at_...>
Date: Fri, 16 Jan 2004 23:03:52 +0000

"Roderick and Ellen Robertson" <rjremr_at_...> writes:

>(So what's the Water version of the story? We've seen the Storm (Straight
>LBQ), Solar (Yelm summons his murderers) had a lovely Darkness idea, Earth
>is asleep and is rescued/wakened by a Husband/Protector, but what is Water's
>version? "We all jumped down the Whirlpool to plug up the hole where the
>Spike used to be and..."?)

"flooded Hell so the sun could float back up to the surface again" ?? :)

Anyway, you're all wrong. The real truth is that it was, of course, the Ducks who saved Glorantha.

"When the world was broken and shattered, and the overworld became the underworld, and all things were in confusion, only the dwead Durulz remained strong. Therefore Arachne Solara chose us as her instruments of destiny, and came among us, teaching us to see clearly and know truth from illusion. Under her direction we Ducks then wove a tremendous net of many knots.

"Chaos came then, and attempted to swallow them all. But our ancestors rose into the air on their beautiful wings, drawing the net behind them. The Evil One saw them then, and fought back. Searing bolts of black energy shot out at the Ducks, burning the wings from their bodies one by one and sending them plummeting earthwards. But it was too late for the Devil, and the Durulz' great sacrifice was not in vain. For as the last and mightiest of our ancestors fell flightless to earth, they managed to hurl the net out over the Devil, entrapping the power of Chaos, and binding it fast into the world.

"With their enemy defeated by the power, wisdom and sacrifice of the Durulz race, the lesser gods like Orlanth and Yelm were able to make their escape from Hell and go about their lives once more. Being ungrateful and short in memory, the other races soon forgot the huge debt they owe the Ducks, and the sacrifice we made to save the world.

"But the Durulz never forget."

(loosely adapted and Manirianised from Revealed Mythologies pp75-76)

Stephen