AA vs KL

From: Tim Ellis <tim_at_...>
Date: Sun, 18 Jan 2004 01:46:16 +0000

There's already been a lot of discussion on this topic, here are my thoughts...

>In our campaign, a few pc's are trying to hurt the troll realm of
>Dagori Inkarth. They want to hit it big time and plan to strike
>directly at Kyger Litor herself.

Well I suppose there is nothing like going straight to the top... but as others have pointed out, it is not going to be easy. It took the combined might of the Lunar Empire to strike at Orlanth, and even then the results were only temporary.

>They want to hurt KL way more than socially so I guess their
>investigation should lead them to some kind of hq.

If they want to strike at the Goddess herself then I think some kind of HQ is going to be mandatory.

>But when (if) they get there, which hq should it be?

That will, at least in part, depend on where they come from, since there own myths in dealing with Darkness/Trolls are most likely going to be there starting point. For the Orlanthi there is the "Sandals of Darkness" Quest wherein Orlanth steals some of Kygor Litor's power.

>How can I throw the AA into the mix?

With the caveat that other Trollish cults are unlikely to want to actually hurt KL, anyone using the PC's as dupes and/or a front for their own machinations might provide "help" in terms of other versions of the myth, or related myths. (Say for example that the Trolls have a version of "Sandals of Darkness" whereby KL dupes Orlanth into taking a lesser prize, keeping back some greater power for the Uz). Of course, if they are only using the PC's for their own ends, they may not actually want them to succeed, so may not be telling them the (whole) truth.

>Would it be even possible for them to succeed?

Well, Stories are generally more interesting if they at least think they have a chance to succeed. But how much of a chance will depend on a lot of things, starting with how powerful the Characters are, and how much support they are able to muster. Attacking Kygor Litor is like attacking Orlanth or Rufelza, so, particularly in the Hero Wars it can't be completely ruled out.

>> I have decided they would be (unkowingly) helped by a
>>faction of Argan Argari willing to profit from the situation to
>>push their God in the top influencial position in Dagori Inkarth.

>It doesn't work like that. Argan Argar can't displace Kyger Litor
>any more than Issaries displace Orlanth.

Hmm. Issaries would have an easier job, in some ways, since Heortlings wouldn't lose their humanity if they didn't worship Orlanth in the same way that Trolls will lose there Uzness if they abandon KL. On the other hand Argan Argar was/is more politcally important in the Kingdom of the Night and amongst the Kitori, so he may have more "leadership/ruler" type powers than Issaries.

But this is as much about tribal/family politics as the hierarchy of Darkness Deities. As followers of the God of Surface Darkness, The AA cultists probably feel that they should have more of a say in what goes on than they currently get in the matriarchal Dagori Inkarth. They are not looking to replace the worship of KL with the worship of AA, but to place more temporal power in the hands of the AA Worshippers. As someone else suggested, this may mean they are willing to help the PC's at the start of an attack on Kygor Litor only so they can put themselves in a position to thwart it and thus show the importance of AA in protecting the Uz of Dagori Inkarth.

--
| Tim Ellis           EMail tim_at_...                      |
| What is the use of a book without pictures or conversations?            |