Re: Danfive Xaron (AA vs KL)

From: Peter Metcalfe <metcalph_at_...>
Date: Mon, 19 Jan 2004 13:07:58 +1300

Paul King

>Me>No, Danfive Xaron took the part not because he was a Penitent
> >Criminal but because he was a bloodthirsty criminal seeking
> >ultimate power. The experience (i.e. 'partial success') changed
> >him and he _became_ a Penitent Criminal.

>That's not quite how I pictured his involvement. Especially given
>his depiction "... hunched into a position of submission, wearing
>chains and shackles"

Which is the end result of the Heroquest. The Glorantha: Intro p102 following the Tales writeup says "He joined the Conspiracy of the Seven Mothers and through his partial success became truely contrite". Given that the Redline Histories states about the Seven Mothers motivations that "Other hints indicate that political expediency and a simple lust for power motivated at least two of the conspirators", Danfive as contrite before the Heroquest doesn't sound right in light of the Goddess's nature as an agent of transformation.

>But maybe the other four (?) Mothers were willing to take the risk
>that Danfive Xaron might succeed, although I would have thought that
>Deezola at least would have had serious misgivings.

Given that the Deezola was out to unleash the worst curse on the Empire that had deprived her of her lands (that the Goddess was a Great Blessing for Everyone was an unexpected "side-effect"), I don't think she would have been all that worried about having a bloodthirsty murderer in on the plot.

--Peter Metcalfe