Re: Illuminated Uroxi?

From: Ian Cooper <ian_hammond_cooper_at_...>
Date: Mon, 19 Jan 2004 14:00:33 -0000

Hi Rob,

> 1. Can an Uroxi be Illuminated.

Canoncially yes. It happens to Oddi the Keen in the Cults of Terror narratives (which occurs in the Hero Wars period).

> 2. Would he be accepted as a worshipper. Ie would
> they detect him as illumiated or perhaps would he
> fail the entrance (be rejected by Stormbull
>himself)?

He is not magically detectable, but if not already a member he might have to fake the attitudes.

Do not forget that Storm Bull is in many ways no better than Gagarth, subscribing only to Umath's law 'No one can make you do anything' not to Orlanth's 'Take responsibility for your actions'. He is anti-social and unpleasant, tolerated only for his chaos killing ability.

Think of illumiation a bit like Jedi mysticism. You have a good Nysalor side best summed up by Yoda's 'Fear leads to anger, anger leads to hate, hate leads to suffering'. Nysalor seeks to remove the fear and thus prevents hate. But Illumination also has a dark Gbaji path which is best summed up us 'that which is not forbidden is permitted'. Followers of the Dark path exploit that lack of in-built prejudice to seek personal power.

Someone following the Bright side would find Uroxi attitudes hard to tolerate, because they are based on prejudice, fear, and hatred. In fact Urox ovecomes the usual fear of Chaos with his hatred and rage. Oddi certainly finds these attitudes difficult after his conversion.

Someone following the Dark side might join Urox because Uroxi culture is 'might is right' and could offer useful powers. But they would not feel the rage.

>On escape he is trying to escape the illumination and has joined
>the Strombulll cult is rabidly anti-chaos.
This is your problem area. By definition this is not true if you are illuminated. In an illuminated state hatred would be considered an emotion to be avoided. It is an entanglment with the world, a failure to achieve higher spiritual consciousness. Illumination avoids these things. In a sense the ultimate goal of illumination is a divorce from the world.

> 3. Would you be able to reverse the 'awakening' via a heroquest?
I do not think that you can unlearn illumination, it is a state of being, to unlearn it would be to deny your very self. Nor do I suspect that somebody who was illuminated would seek this.

In summary the problem for your Uroxi is if he is illuminated his desires will no longer include hatred, revenge, and self-denial.

Perhaps the effect you are after could be achieved by giving him a chaos feature against his will (liberal application of Chaos Slime perhaps) that is pretty much undetectable but enough to make him dirty in Heortling eyes. That would give him the sense of shame you are after along with the need to hide a 'dirty-little-secret'. There are certainly heroquests to cleanse a chaos taint.