Re: Misapplied Sacrifice

From: Jeff Kyer <jeff.kyer_at_...>
Date: Sun, 10 Dec 2000 16:26:30 -0000

Rule of thumb: Daimonines are things from the God World. Spirits are things from the Spirit World.

> to comment, I doubt the details of Incarnation differ all that
greatly
> from that which I proposed. I still prefer to separate Worship
Ancestors
> from Worship Storm Pantheon, although perhaps one could handle it
via

Ancestors Worship in the Storm pantheon is part and parcel of Worship Storm Pantheon.

I presume you are trying to summon or invoke *specific* ancestors. Unless a particular ancestor is a god or hero or important in their own right, I suspect they cannot be contacted except as the communal and collective 'Ancestors' that one meets in Orlanth's Hall and the Loom House and so forth.

> Initiation or Devotion. One would then need to be a Devotee of one's
> ancestor cult in order to learn the secret of Incarnation, and I do
not

Ancestor cults for *specific* ancestors are mostly hero cults or petty deities and are handled as such. Worship of one's ancestors as a whole is handled through the commual 'worship storm pantheon'

> necessarily feel that a hero would be cut off from a close magical
bond
> with his or her ancestors just because he or she is Devoted to a
deity.

The ancestors are a part of the entire spectrum of the Storm Pantheon and participate in the appropriate form and ceremonies. Just because one is devoted to a specifice deity does not mean that you are cut off or exempt from all the other community services. I think you might have the wrong imprssion of how devotion works.

That extra 30% is something you do above and BEYOND your regular commitments as a part of the community. Not even (or only?) a disciple can turn his back on the community and exclusively serve one deity.

> I have to admit that I am not fond of how secrets are handled in
HERO
> WARS currently, though perhaps the material on acts of devotion in
> "Thunder Rebels" will give me some added insight for the variant
rules

I am not sure what you mean. I do not think that 'acts of devotion' is a part of the various keywords...

> governing progressive Devotion which are haunting me at the moment.

I am not sure what you mean by 'progressive devotion' For what it is worth to you, Thunder Rebels does have an extensive walk through of how religious beliefs work in HW.

Hope this helps,

Jeff Kyer