Re: Digest Number 1548

From: joe_at_...
Date: Tue, 20 Jan 2004 11:21:35 +0100 (CET)

Nick Hughes

>> To begin with, the Kitori are not Heortlings. At best they could be >> described as Theyalans.

> They are described as Orlanthi in Thunder Rebels, tainted Orlanthi
> perhaps but still Orlanthi.

Actually, it says:

"They are a vile people who hold blasphemous congress with Uz. They worship gods of the underworld, and their Uz allies taint the good gods of the Orlanthi with false worship."

They and their troll allies worship gods of the Orlanthi. (So do the Esrolians, Caladrians and Pelaskites.) This doesn't make their troll allies Orlanthi.

What you are describing is a darkness Heortling tribe like the Torkani. The Kitori are "worse".

> I jumped to the conclusion that they
> would be Heortlings as all the other Orlanthi in that area are
> Heortlings and no other culture-founding hero is mentioned.

Not in Thunder Rebels, but in various unofficial publications like Tradetalk #4 (Shannon Appel's History of the Shadowlands) or Broken Council Guidebook.

>> THere is the additional complication that Greg told us at Tentacles
>> that they are neither human or troll, but something like another
>> minor Elder Race. Apparently one able to breed true with either
>> humans or trolls. Apparently able to prove their human or troll
>> nature at need...

> If I'm gonna get Gregged by unpublished remarks then that's
> something I guess I will have to live with. Personally I prefer them
> as just another Heortling tribe - but one that by accepting worship
> of darkness deities earns the emnity of "mainstream" heortlings.

It's your Glorantha. If you want them to be like that, check Trotsky's Torkani pages for good material on such Heortlings.

>> How would one do this, anyway?

> In the role of AA one has to woo and win the heart of the local
> Earth goddess. A little baby OOO then follows.

AA had to bind Vestkarthen/Lodril "caught in the act" with Zugortek/Asrelia/Esrola.

Come to think of it, Zugortek ought to be available in Dagori Inkarth, however minor her influence.

>> That's the hard way, especially since you'll have to awaken the

> local
>> volcano god first (and he's quite out of the way, if the Roundlakes
>> are the nearest evident Volcano, so maybe better get a new volcano
>> going?),

> Setting off a volcanic eruption might be a risk of the quest...

Actually part of the desired outcome. That's how AA built the Obsidian Palace, replacing the need for a Castle of Lead on Shadow Plateau.

> Better succeed in controlling that volcanic deity having awakened
> him.

It looks like you need an Esrola quester to wake him first, and seduce him. This is actually the hard part for the Argan Argar cultists, and might be delegated to a human party.

So, if I had to sell this to a bunch of adventurers, I'd go "forget about hurting the goddess' body, go and burn out the land. Quest for a volcano to happen in the Castle of Lead!"

That _ought to_ hurt Kyger Litor...