Limits of Heroquesting

From: Andrew Solovay <asolovay_at_...>
Date: Tue, 20 Jan 2004 14:32:28 -0800

Peter Metcalfe <metcalph_at_...> wrote:

> The examples mentioned in Andrew Solovay's post that I was
> responding to are examples of what can't be done with heroquests.
> I would also add Changing History and altering the Cosmic
> Compromise.

But... but... well, first of all, the Cosmic Compromise *has* been altered--at Castle Blue, for one example. (How did that old Abba song go? "Yeah yeah, at Castle Blue the old gods were defeated...") We can't know if history has been changed, since if it's changed, well, history is different. But we certainly have some tantalizing hints, e.g. in the stories of Zorak Zoran and the nature of the Orlanthi sun god (and the evil emperor). And the natures of the gods seem to change all the time (well, "all the time" = "once an age or so when someone pulls off a really kick-butt godquest").

I should clarify--when I say "heroquest", I don't mean "quest to the Hero Plane", but something a step beyond that (e.g. going to the Gods' World). But my impression was, nobody really knows the limit of what you can do once you're in the Godtime--it's just that it gets exponentially more difficult, and the consequences of failure become vastly greater.