Re: Digest Number 1551

From: nichughes2001 <nick.hughes_at_...>
Date: Tue, 20 Jan 2004 22:35:28 -0000

Agreed, the powers 'learned' are those of the guardian. Borrowing liberally from some RL practices I was planning to have some of those guardians be otherworld entities that had themselves decided to follow the mystic path in question and so were acting as patrons to their fellow seekers of Truth. These powers at least I was not viewing as actively harmful to progress on the path to enlightenment, not unless the practitioner became overly attached to them anyway.

As a practitioner progressed they would naturally leave the lesser teachers/patrons behind and associate themselves with those that represented deeper understanding - the bodhisattvas or equivalent entities. Of course even these could be a hindrance eventually but as beings on the treshold of full enlightenment themselves this hindrance would only apply right at the end.

--
Nic (throwing ideas around to see how many stick)