Re: Changing history (was illumination and Uroxi and ...)

From: Roderick and Ellen Robertson <rjremr_at_...>
Date: Tue, 20 Jan 2004 15:25:23 -0800

> Now: My understanding has been that travelling to the Green Age is a
> Highly Dangerous Thing, specifically because it can result in
> catastrophic changes to history. Did I misunderstand the reasoning
> behind the danger? Or is travelling to the Green Age a separate thing
> from (or a very special case of) a heroquest? (Or is my question
> nonsensical for some reason?)

Whoops, I answered the wrong question.

Heroquesting takes place on the Hero Plane, sort of a "History in a bottle" place. There you can interact with specific events (Mostly Gods-age stuff, like Orlanth vrs. Aroka, or the Hill of Gold, but also some "Since time began" stuff, like Caste Blue). Smacking stuff down in the hero plane may affect your own being, and those that supported you back home. But it usually won't really make huge amounts of difference to the peoples around you.
Going to the Green Age in the Hero Plane is extremely dangerous for the quester and his supporters for the reasons I stated in my previous post, except that the effects won't be far-reaching outside of you & your supporters.

Now, you *can* travel to the God plane, the Spirit plane or the Essence plane and directly confront Gods (All 10w12 of Orlanth, frex), spirits or Saints/Founders/Essences. This is playing around in the System Code of Glorantha - kill Orlanth in the Hero Plane and you get some nifty powers or weaken a foe. Kill Orlanth on the God plane and you kill AIR. Mess around in the Hero Plane Green Age and you may find out that your kin and supporters have *always* been one-eyed, one-horned flying purple people eaters. Mess about with the *real* green Age and you've literally changed history, for all people, everywhere. And you can't predict what those changes will be.

RR
- Richelieu