trickster geases (was: Lunar Trickster Deities)

From: Douglas Seay <douglas-seay_at_...>
Date: Tue, 20 Jan 2004 20:36:59 -0500

mcaveney_at_... wrote:
> On a weirdly related note ....
>
> Has anyone written up a Trickster cult with geases? I'm thinking along the
> lines of:
>
> Walk backwards
> Answer every question with another question
> Repeat every sentence
> Never fart unless spoken to
> Dance a jig whenever your name is spoken

I think that this list is more for shamans than tricksters. Tricksters would do more things to other people. This seems a bit too passive aggressive for me. Be a bit more active, not simply reacting to what others have done.

Light at least one hotfoot per day.
Must "play with fire" every day.
Redistribute the winter food supply.
Go with the hunters for the first hunt of the season. Milk an alynx every day.
Must publicly mock/pantomime one thane per season. Misplace visitor's weapons.
Challenge all visitors to a drinking contest. Put dye in the washwater annually.
Must spend one day/week with the warband, a patrol, etc. Must sleep in the urn field every night in Fire season. Has to remind Humakti of the Trickster's role in stealing Death. Every spring has to plow a field with a weaponthane's sword.

Failing is OK as long as a serious effort is made. But I don't think that tricksters should have specific geases. That is too restrictive, when they should be more unpredictable. More like

And in any case, it should be unique for each trickster. This is the least "cookie cutter" cult of them all.