Re: Maximum Game Fun vs. Setting Fidelity

From: Agent Groove <coridan_at_...>
Date: Thu, 22 Jan 2004 01:41:32 -0500

<snip log>

Sounds like this fellow is trying to get around Glorantha's most basic rules. He obviously doesn't like the Dragonewt approach.

Now, here's an MGF way that we could possibly handle this.

HeroQuest makes arrangements for creations and inclusions into the GMs Glorantha of totally new myths, forms of magic, and other stuff that are not part of Gloranthan canon, such as with the Origami Sorcery that we see developed by one of the players in the rules examples. Perhaps what can be done is that he's given a few very basic abilities, and given new abilities as he explores things in game. For example, I can see a person from potentially anywhere in Glorantha who has some very basic common magic and mundane skills, who is drawn to Dragon Pass to investigate Draconic things, due to strange dreams and visions he's had all his life. Perhaps he's instinctively drawn to perform bizarre and weird rites, which give him strange powers and insights.

But, he's going to have to accept that if he's going to be playing in Glorantha, that his character did not spring out of the ground - he comes from somewhere, has a family and a home culture he grew up in, and is a part of the world. MGF requires that player and GM come half way. Players who refuse are fun-stealers. I use the term *twink* for these fellows.

Aside from that, it seems that you may want to present to him the freeform in-game-play character creation approach in HQ and try that!

MGF and setting fidelity do not conflict - they are complimentary!

CB