Re: Maximum Game Fun vs. Setting Fidelity

From: Graham Robinson <graham_at_...>
Date: Thu, 22 Jan 2004 08:12:37 +0000

>One of my players is creating a character who is a dragonnewt
>reincarnated into human form who wishes the goal of his character to
>be to ascend into draconic form eventually. In light of this, I have
>been giving him information about the dragonnewt path to becoming a
>dragon.
>
>Last night a player of mine brought up so concerns he has over it, and
>tonight we had a discussion about it and it basically seems to come
>down to the fact that he doesn't particularly like the avenues the
>setting creates for him to achieve his goal. I think

I think you and the player are approaching this backwards. I *always* help new players create characters by finding out what sort of character the player wants, then finding the closest Gloranthan match. The player seems to be mainly interested in (a) the possibility of ascending to dragonhood and (b) wants an active path with several possibilities attached to it. It seems there are much closer ties to his interests than the dragonewt idea.

I'd suggest that the dragonewt thing is a non-starter, and instead explore other dragony ideas. Perhaps the character could be seeking to follow the path of the ewf into dragonhood. It didn't work for the empire, but that was because the idea was corrupted by the masses. Perhaps it works fine for just one or two elite guys... If he's really keen on the reincarnated 'newt idea, maybe the character is a newt that fell off the wagon. We know that happens, and becoming human seems about as far off the path as you can get. Maybe he's searching for a shortcut that will work faster than the proper 'newt path. Maybe that's why he's been cursed to become human.

Cheers,
Graham

--
Graham Robinson