Re: Re: Maximum Game Fun vs. Setting Fidelity

From: S. Ben Melhuish <sben_at_...>
Date: Thu, 22 Jan 2004 09:58:39 -0800

> I was getting frustrated because it just
> seemed like the already established world stuff was getting in the way
> of me doing what I wanted to do.

This is the key right here. This player feels restricted by the setting as it has been presented to him. And if you want him to have fun, there needs to be a way for him to play the kind of character he wants.

This is why I like the origamist in HQ: She's a fun, playable, non-munchkin character. As originally conceived, she has no relationship whatsoever to "known" (canon) Glorantha. And though the GM obviously had misgivings, all it took was a tiny shift in the concept (or, rather, a bit of clarification -- it's *wizardry*, produced via origami) to make it fit in with the (canon) cosmology.

Remember that these are the Hero Wars. It's a time of upheaval, when things that Should Not Happen, do. Orlanth dies. Arkat comes back. Sheng Seleris comes back. The Red Moon crashes. Wizards use origami. With all of that going on, who's to say that a human with a dragonewt soul can't make the jump to a draconic form? Sure, it's unheard of, and it won't be easy, but that's what separates your ordinary everyday adventurer from a true hero.

--
Pile on!
http://pile.org/