Re: Maximum Game Fun vs. Setting Fidelity

From: Kevin P. McDonald <paul_mcdonald_at_...>
Date: Thu, 22 Jan 2004 16:57:28 -0500

>>I am working on starting a Lunar Glorantha HeroQuest game.
>>
>>One of my players is creating a character who is a dragonnewt
>>reincarnated into human form who wishes the goal of his character to
>>be to ascend into draconic form eventually.

I want to chime in here to repeat something which has already been said, but might need some reinforcement : In the context of HeroQuest, the world of Glorantha exists to *help* you tell fun stories - not to hinder you. Everyone's style of narrating and playing is different, and you have to discover what works for your group (which includes you). That said, some players might want to break the rules in order to have a character who is more powerful than everyone else in the group. This selfish attitude becomes a real problem if it detracts from everyone else's fun. It doesn't sound like this describes your player at all, so I would feel free to indulge his creative urge. In fact, I strongly encourage it.

Greg constantly says "Your Glorantha Will Vary", and has emphasized that many Hero Wars stories will be about people who stray from the tried and true path of their culture. This implies that the hero has a cultural basis from which he/she diverges. Before you can break the rules, you must have rules to break! If your player wants to play a dragonewt in human form, but dislikes the dragonewt philosophy, then go with it! After all, there must be a reason he was born a human, and his dislike of dragonewt philosophy/culture may be that reason. Does this mean he will not be able to become a dragon? Will he be vilified by the dragonewts? Will he turn into some kind of horror because of his "error"? Does he come from a culture where *everyone* believes that they are reincarnated dragonewts? You and your player will decide this during character creation and actual play. Don't try to answer all these questions at character creation, and never, never, never, feel that your game has to go in one particular direction or another.

To make a long story short... in the contest of Maximum Game Fun vs Setting Fidelity, MGF should always win.

~Kevin McD