Re: Re: Maximum Game Fun vs. Setting Fidelity

From: Jane Williams <janewilliams20_at_...>
Date: Thu, 22 Jan 2004 23:43:54 +0000 (GMT)

> As he put it "When I heard about a world of myths, I
> thought I was
> going to be making them and not recreating them."

But, as a player, he *is*! I'm not sure whether he meant the player or the character, but the player *will* be making his own myths, we hope.

It goes like this.

GM sets problem.

Player says "in order to solve that I'll need to do a HQ based on a myth where <deity> does <X> to <Y> and gains <Z>".

GM says "Roll against your mythology of <deity>, then. OK, you remember one. How does it go?"

Player invents myth.

The party go and do the HQ. Based on a modified version of the myth they just wrote, because the character hadn't quite remembered it right (and the GM is Evil!)

But back at your "hero becomes Dragon" quest, a couple of thoughts arise.

To start with, does your player understand what Gloranthan dragons are like? Or is he thinking of some fairly large scaley flaying thing with fiery breath and a Hoard?

Are you aware of the Sun County Plot, so far unpublished but explained at several Cons, that involves humans attempting to turn themselves all draconic, with unfortunate results? It seems to me that the essentials of that could easily be borrowed and moved to whatever location you fancy. You might even modify it so that the method being attempted actually *works*, or loses some of its side-effects, or something....

Jane Williams

Yahoo! Messenger - Communicate instantly..."Ping" your friends today! Download Messenger Now http://uk.messenger.yahoo.com/download/index.html