Re: Illuminated - help!

From: simon_hibbs2 <simon.hibbs_at_...>
Date: Fri, 23 Jan 2004 12:15:20 -0000

> Most followers of mystic paths in Glorantha also appear to believe
> in reincarnation in one way or another. Although I do not think we
> have seen canon confirmation for every such philosophy I think we
> can work on the assumption that being good (i.e. following the
> moral/ethical code to the best of your ability) will usually result
> in a favourable rebirth that will help on the path to enlightenment.
>
> In the context of which a do-or-die dash for instant enlightenment
> in this lifetime would be regarded as doomed to failure by many (if
> not most) philosophies as at the least it indicates a harmful
> attachment to enlightenment itself. .

Note though that (apparently) illuminates cannot reincarnate. For them it's transcendence or oblivion. My guess is that this particularly applies to spontaneous illuminates - they cannot enter the heaven of their previous religion because their souls are now their own. The same effect that makes their souls intractable to theist powers (spirits of retribution ignore them, geases don't bind them, etc) also means the normal meachanisms that draw their souls into the appropriate theist or animist afterlife cannot function.

Mystical religions presumably don't have this problem?

Simon Hibbs