Re: Maximum Game Fun vs. Setting Fidelity

From: David Dunham <david_at_...>
Date: Fri, 23 Jan 2004 21:02:00 -0800

Jesse

>As he put it "When I heard about a world of myths, I thought I was
>going to be making them and not recreating them."

While it's easier said than done, that's exactly what I hope can happen in the Umathelan game I just started. And in the first session, a couple players at least came up with the names of two plausible myths which, well, they could recreate...

HeroQuest is designed such that you don't need to know all the myths ahead of time, players can make them up as needed.

Glorantha is a place where performing successful actions of gods or heroes is likely to have similar success. But then, this isn't unique to Glorantha -- I can't remember the specifics, but there's an example in Saxo Grammaticus, where someone uses an oar as a club, just like the last hero who had to fight the same battle.

--

David Dunham