Re: Begining Campaign

From: Ian Cooper <ian_hammond_cooper_at_...>
Date: Mon, 26 Jan 2004 13:34:27 -0000

> I was wondering what people think. Do you think that the old
> Borderlands scenarios are suitable as Heroquest material.

Yes very much so. IIRC Chaosium tried to provide examples of a number of play styles through their RQ supplements: Wilderness Adventures (Griffin Mountain), City and Dungeon (Pavis), Communitybased  (Borderlands). Of the three the latter allows HeroQuest to strut its stuff the most.

You may find that some of the emphasis on combat problems and cavecrawling  in the episodes wears a bit. Supplementing it with 'hearts & minds_at_ episodes among the Morokanth, Agimori, and folk of Wies would help with a change of pace. Remember even in cave-crawls that simple contest combat is often your friend over everything is an extended contest. MOLAD has some good advice in its Fighters campaign section for you here.

Updating should not be too hard. The mercenaries should be a hero band with a guardian being. Signing that contract is paying your HP to join. The first episode should give people some starting relationships with the various folks they encounter depending on their actions etc.

Doing Condor Crags as an extended climbing contest could work very well.

But the setting and situation are a good choice.

The other good RQ-era choice would be the Riskland campaign setting.