RE: McGelligot's Pool

From: Matthew Cole <matthew.cole_at_...>
Date: Fri, 30 Jan 2004 02:54:37 -0000

Jane, Bruce, Bryan, Kieth, Guy, Oliver

Thanks extra loads for your input.

Bryan, I like the idea of salty fishers coming back to the Pool; Bruce and Jane, the link to the sea I didn't think of (d'oh!) and am very grateful for; Guy, it's funny you should bring up Dr Suess (and so entertainingly! Thanks Oliver for the link) especially in light of Kieth's reference to McElligot's Pool - which may connect to the sea!

So, I am going to use it all.
You may have noticed that I had already written of an argument between the two fisher 'sects'.

Well, there are good arguments in both Dr Suess works, conveying just the sort of character I want for this (Sneeches exclusivity for the salty Pelaskans and McElligot's "there's nothing there that can interest you!" for the Poverrians). Jane's nessie reference can go with the Waterhorse research I did the other day and a nice link to the deep deep ocean giving access to the more mysterious mythology that fits the character of the irish siren-like Waterhorse.

I can imagine the Poverrians intoning the ancient rebuke:
"The pool is too small.

And, you might well know it,
When people have junk
Here's the place that they throw it...." And the Pelaskans:
"When the sea working children went out to catch fish,
could the land locked ones join their game? Not a bit!" (or maybe something a bit better than that :)

In fact, the only thing I'm not using is the Charonians from that Star Trek episode and that's because I don't want to get all preachy about racism.

So, thanks one and all. :)