Re: Cult of Sartar?

From: Andrew Solovay <asolovay_at_...>
Date: Mon, 2 Feb 2004 14:27:54 -0800

bethexton_at_... wrote:

> Anyone know/willing to speculate the requirements (Sartar's flame
> burning bright?), and who can get the magic (just the king? and his
> thanes? anyone who worships?), and what magic it gives?? (no idea).

I'd assume that since Sartar built the Four Cities and the roads, his cult has something to do with maintaining them. Presumably the people who maintain the roads and walls are members of his cult and get appropriate magic from it. With his cult suppressed, the roads and walls would be deteriorating.

At a guess, I'd assume that other "kingdom infrastructure" services were connected with his cult--e.g. if there were messenger riders, they probably worshipped him. More broadly, I assume a lot of innovations were necessary to create a kingdom--customs and practices which have no precedent in Heortling custom, but were needed to make the new nation. (Tax collectors? Bureaucrats in general? High priests for the various cults?) I speculate that all these innovations are attributed to Sartar, and that magically (if not historically), he owns them. So anyone fulfilling a role in the Kingdom which did not exist in tribal society would be connected with the cult of Sartar, and get helpful magic from him.

Am I completely out of line on this?