Re: Uz society

From: DreadDomain <dreaddomain_at_...>
Date: Tue, 3 Feb 2004 07:00:26 -0500

> Just to quibble... My sense is, when we talk about a troll society
> "dominated" by Zorak Zoran, we're stretching a point somewhat. I don't
think
> any troll society could be "dominated" by ZZ the way Dagor Inkarth is by
> Kyger Litor, without turning into something completely unstable--say,
> something like the Kingdom of War.

But wasn't it the case for Ralios's Dark Empire?

> It might make sense to say a society is "dominated by ZZ", if ZZ is the
> chief wargod (taking the place of Karrg et al.). In a society like that, I
> think we'd see the effects you describe. But Kyger Litor would still be
the
> chief god--without her, they can't remain Uz at all.

I don't think KL was seen as the chief gog during the KoN. Sure, even in a ZZ dominated society KL would be important (for reproduction) but Zorak Zorani structure would no doubt politically and socially place their god in the top spot. The power of the Council of Mothers would be greatly diminished (if not inexistent).

> Perhaps in such societies, Zorak Zoran functions as a member of the Circle
> of Eight. In that case, worshipping Zorak Zoran would, in essence, be
> worshipping an aspect of Kyger Litor. And that would mean their
> understanding of KL would be somewhat different than the understanding in
> Dagori Inkari.

I cannot see ZZ as a member of the circle of eight nor do I see worshipping ZZ (in that condition) the same as worshipping an aspect of KL. AFAIK, ZZ and KL are not even related. Probably the same could be said for AA and KL.

> I think the same goes for Argan Argar, but less so. If Kyger Litor isn't
the
> center of Uz life, they'll have a hard time having children.

I don't think KL "needs" to be a central aspect of Uz life as more as it is a societal fact in Uz lands, Like I sais in another post, faction in power tend to cling to power, espacially in an isolationist society like KL's society. Sure KL is important and will always be but her really important aspect is Korasting. Other aspects can be replaced by other deities

>But in the
> Kingdom of Night, Argan Argar was (I assume) raised to a level of
prominence
> not seen in other lands, so it would seem like Kyger Litor was
de-emphasized
> and AA was emphasized.

This is what I am talking about I guess. How was AA emphasized? How was KL de-emphasized? What were the effects on Uz society?