Re: My oar in troll waters

From: DreadDomain <dreaddomain_at_...>
Date: Wed, 4 Feb 2004 11:32:55 -0500

> My dear friends of the Shadow,

I bow to your presence Oh! Furious one.

> No. Ralios' Dark Empirewas of ocurse dominated by Arkat. By the time he
got there he had actually renounced his trollishness, much as he had renounced most everything else in his miserable life.
> What did he become? Well, most of the actual facts concerning that were
wiped out by the Silver Empire when they plundered the Dark Empire. Hence the many Arkats now known, sought after or imagined.
> However, whatever he did become, he still retained the friendship of the
trolls, many of whom he resettled in Guhan.

I see. There must be the root of my confusion.

> This really depends on what we mean by dominated. But in my book I had
intended to make it clear that ZZ often replaces Kaarg as the war god, but that the essential society is not changed.
> To me, this is kind of like changing your leaden uz war club for one with
brass spikes.

I agree. I was more talking about great loss of influence of KL to the profit of another God. ZZ or AA for instance.

> This is a key point. To be a troll is to be a part of KL. Remove her and
you removve the trollishness.

I was aiming at the loss of influence of KL's political factions not necessarily its removal as a cult or the removal of her most important dogma (Korasting I would assume). From general reactions, I get the feeling the consensus is that one must come with the other.

>Look at those scrawny, miserable troll remnant things that live in
Pamaltela and you can see what removing KL means.

I don't know enough about the Muri to judge. From what I know they lost their connection to cold when Qualyorni was struck down by Pamalt but they remained troll. Different from the Uzko because they descent directly from Uzuz but troll nonetheless, am I correct? Until your post I was unaware KL was removed from them so I have no clue what other effects they might have suffered.

> AGain, what is dominant meaning here? If we are talkign about those
losers, the males, who are seen by the rest of the world then it appears to have changed. But deep down, where it really counts, we know they all had dearMom KL in their hearts.

Ok, so even during the KoN, AA might had the political top spot but KL remained the most adored god. I thought the change was more profouned then that. I stand corrected.

> I think that anyh society that had ZZ dominant would have all males. Oh,
maybe some female trollkin.

That wouldn't be too great for continuity would it? I suspect Uzko cannot breed with Enlo and if they can, only Enlo would come from it, am I correct? I may have wrongly assumed a ZZ society would have full support from the Xiola Umbarg cult (providing females).

> I think I've commented on this enough above. She doesn't "need" to be in
charge, unless you want to have gonads that work, be a troll, and not be the eternal enemy of every family-loving, myth-participating troll in existence.

If I understand you correctly, KL must be in charge for Uz to exist. Not only revered, not only adored, not only her rituals respected and observed but fully in charge. Isn't it overkill? Is it the same for humans? Who must be in charge to assure a human remains human?

> I don{t even agree with that. AA becomes prominent on the outside
especially when there is a great need to communicate with non-trolls.

Ok, then I have misjudged the differences between KoN and DI. Again, I stand corrected.

> YGWV
Of course. I prefer things to be less static and having KL as "the-one-and-only-who-must-be-in-charge-in-order-to-keep-uzself" seems too unflexible to me. Hey, what can I say, I love Uz but I dislike absolutes (:-))!