Re: Re: Uz society

From: DreadDomain <dreaddomain_at_...>
Date: Wed, 4 Feb 2004 11:56:59 -0500

> In "splitting the difference" -- it occurs to me that when the
> females are in power, the "let's make stronger kids" faction probably
> has an easier time of it. Much fun could probably be had (though keep
> in mind, I'm writing a lecture on Wilhelmine parliamentary politics
> to give today...) by considering the different factions within "uz
> society" and how they'll want to allocate magic in various ways. I'd
> assume that females want to dominate "external" affairs, so they can
> use them for the primacy of internal affairs. Why waste the magic and
> other resources on extrnal things?

This is what I see when I think of a KL dominated society : isolationist.

> It's possible for Zorak Zorani to dominate sections of uz
> society, even to rule entire lands (briefly), or to dominate regions -
> - but the ZZ are so internally destructive ("Hey! We're in charge!
> That means --- CHARGE!") that I can't imagine they'd hold power very
> long, unless there's a succession of surprisingly talented and mellow
> Death Lords around (and even then, I'd think ol' blue-eyes would be
> sending some spirits of retribution eventually!).

Yeah, ZZi are not the greatest builders around. They would probably hold much better and longer in a "surrounded-by-enemies" situation.

> I'm not sure male trolls, at least the sane ones, _want_ to take
> power from females. Maximize their own power in society? Yes.
> Increase the powers of their wives/sisters/nieces/aunts/mothers? Of
> course. Take it away? Ur. That's woman-magic, how do you dominate
> that? I suspect we're thinking like humans: I doubt uz think much
> about gender roles, they just *do* things.

I effectively think they do not want the woman-magic (and to make another badly choosen analogy) no more than most human males are quite happy to leave the "power" of pregancy to women. On the other hand, getting as much power as they can is probably a healthy mindset. And ZZi especially dislike being subversient to "mothers" (:-))

> This said, it's the Hero Wars, where the old rules are made to be
> broken! : )

And break it will!