Re: Lunar Monotheism vs. Lunar Theism/Animism

From: simon_hibbs2 <simon.hibbs_at_...>
Date: Wed, 04 Feb 2004 17:20:56 -0000

> While this is quite interesting, I am having difficulty reconciling
> how Lunar Monotheism interacts with Lunar Theism and Lunar Animism.

These are just my best guesses.

> How would Lunar Monotheists deal with the presented slant that the
> Red Emperoer is the son of Sedenya (their unapproachable God), the
> plethora of various gods and spirits that the vast majority of the
> Empire worships, etc.

Note that monotheists don't deny the existence of gods, spirits, etc they merely disagree as to their moral authority. Malkioni regard Orlanth as being either a demon or renegade sorcerous entity, but don't deny that he exists. I'd think Lunar monotheists would say that Lunar gods and spirits are goodly beings that serve the Creator through the enlightened leadership of the Goddess.

Actual worship of such entities would probably be considered less desirable than direct worship of the Creator, but since the Lunars believe in reincarnation perhaps they'd view worship of a Lunar deity as being a step on the road to the long term goal of the liberation of the soul, and preferable to worshiping 'evil' gods and spirits.

Simon Hibbs