Re: Magic in Glorantha?

From: bethexton_at_...
Date: Wed, 04 Feb 2004 18:20:19 -0000

I have to agree with Simon here. I've been thinking a lot about social and stealth magic, and come to the conclusion that with social magic, part of the effect is "Don't worry about the glow"

When you use magic to help convince someone, I think the glow has sort of a "cosmetics" effect. Which is to say, if you see a gal who is heavily but very well made up, you may be aware that she is using cosmetics, but can be captivated by her looks all the same. In fact, you expect that if she is trying to impress people wiht her looks that she'll be using cosmetics. So I think it is with social magic. You might feel some admiration for the person who doesn't use it, but you may not be able to help feeling a preference for those who do.

Also, I think invocation of appropriate magic would be normal practice in many situations, although of course people will keep a shart eye out for non-normal magic. That is to say, when you are browsing the market and check out a booth, the merchant may not have magic up. But when things begin to get serious he'll take the time to invoke Issairies, calling upon him very openly, and you would have an opportunity to something similar. When tribal negotiators meet, they probably spend an hour or two bragging of their ancestry, their deeds, their kings greatness, and along the way invoking various relevant magics.

--Bryan