THE LOYAL HOUSECARL'S PRAYER

From: Guy Hoyle <ghoyle1_at_...>
Date: Thu, 14 Dec 2000 11:15:24 -0600

    [The following song is an Elmali funeral prayer, as recor by the Lankhor Mhy sage Trivialis Metaphor before his     timely death in 1347 ST. Over the decades and centuries, wandered until it was buried in a hunter's cache in Eol, wrapped around the head of a sheep.]     THE LOYAL HOUSECARL'S PRAYER
    Though my soul be torn and ragged and my patrol be turned about      Though the night wind chill me to my very soul      Though temptation seek my eye and the stars no sight provi Give me just enough morning light to hold.
    CHORUS
    I will not lie me down, this rain a-raging      I will not lie me down in such a storm      And if this night be unblessed, I shall not take my rest; My oath-bound duty I shall perform.
    If the only well is bitter and I cannot quench my thirst  I will drink the rain that falls so steady down      If night's blindness be my gift, if from my fire the heat is r I will strive against the Darkness and the doubt.
    If my friends be drained and weary and it seems their hopes ar lost      We shall the Night endure for sight of Dawn's first blossom, And if Death should take us now, it cannot contravene our vow; We'll stand on and face the morning light without him.

    Lyrics copyright � Guy Hoyle 2000. This song is based on Rod MacDonald's THE SAILOR'S PRAYER, which is a beautiful song that deserves to be quoted in full here. Weith very little modification, this could be called Dormal's Prayer.THE SAILOR'S PRAYER  (Rod MacDonald)

Though my sails be torn and ragged and my mast be turned about  Though the night wind chill me to my very soul  Though the salt spray sting my eye and the stars no sight provide  Give me just enough morning light to hold
I will not lie me down, this rain a-raging  I will not lie me down in such a storm  And if this night be unblessed, I shall not take my rest  Until we reach another shore

If the only water's salt and I cannot quench my thirst  I will drink the rain that falls so steady down  If night's blindness be my gift, if there be thieves upon my drift  I will praise the dark that shelters me from them
If my friends be drained and weary and it seems their hopes are  lost
There's no need for their bones on this blackened bottom  And if death wait just off the bow, we need not answer to him now  We'll stand on and face the morning light without him