RE: Dragonewt Plinths

From: Matthew Cole <matthew.cole_at_...>
Date: Thu, 5 Feb 2004 12:51:52 -0000

Thanks Jane. So your standing stone 'henges' act somewhat as gateways (a bit like the Stargate in Mick's renderings)?

So, one could do the appropriate ritual (be it EWF or draconic) and activate the gateway, then enter the gate from which ever direction makes sense and be on the road.

I like the idea that 'Only 5 minutes ago they weren't there'; very cool. Not going to use that very often myself but when it does happen I expect a few 'cool!'s from my players :)

You wrote:
'The players never got onto the Road themselves, so I never had to figure out what the plinths would have looked like from that perpective, other than "totally different".'

I get the feeling that this is true for most groups. :) I wonder how many are like me and always wanted to have a go at having it in a story?

You wrote:
"covered in weird inscriptions."

I'm preparing inscriptions/carvings for EWF add-on stone bowls. If you, or anyone else, wants to see the designs I come up with (will be finished for tonights session) just say. The idea is that the EWF added their own bits to some plinths to facilitate their use. Obviously they've been out of use for a while (! :) ) but the dragonewts are ignoring them - perhaps relying on the outcome of the dragonkill war and other events to keep it that way. What are left attached to *some* plinths are stylised stone bowls covered in symbols. It's true that some would have been smashed. So, I've got this design (in progress) for inscriptions which communicate in the manner of 'speak friend and enter' (LotR) in that it wasn't cryptic in the days of the EWF (Empire of the Wyrms Friends) but is now.
The idea is that, should one put this in a story, the players have a chance of working out what you're supposed to do. Needless to say, you have to have other knowledge/abilities to be able to follow the instructions.

Well, they are going to see the insriptions tonight so I'll see if it works! :)