Re: Lunar Monotheism vs. Lunar Theism/Animism

From: donald_at_...
Date: Thu, 05 Feb 2004 03:20:13 GMT

In message <p04310107bc474c69382b_at_[143.232.119.186]> "David P. Summers" writes:
>>The Lunars present an interesting case of having all three of the
>>major magical systems interacting peacfully within the confines of
>>their civlization.
>>
>>While this is quite interesting, I am having difficulty reconciling
>>how Lunar Monotheism interacts with Lunar Theism and Lunar Animism.
>>
>>How would Lunar Monotheists deal with the presented slant that the
>>Red Emperoer is the son of Sedenya (their unapproachable God), the
>>plethora of various gods and spirits that the vast majority of the
>>Empire worships, etc.
>>
>>While they could go with the stance that beings such as the Seven
>>Mothers are Saints. How do they explain the inclusion of other
>>theistic and animistic beings? Are they considered Saints too (and
>>thus subject to misapplied worship) or is there something else at
>>work that I am not seeing?
>
>Do lunars see Sedenya as the monotheist god? I'm not expert, but
>Glorantha Voices has the moon woman talk about how Sedenya can see
>the "invisible" god and implies that in Lunar theology her represents
>the creator and the world that Sedenya is trying to heal?

I'm sure there are some Lunars who see Sedenya as the monotheist god, equally there are some who see her as a saint and probably others with any wierd idea you can think of. I don't think the official Lunar religion is too bothered exactly how the various groups regard the pantheon, just that they tolerate the other groups. Of course official tolerence may not always be reflected on the ground but generally there would have to be some practical or political reason for persecuting a group. On the other hand the Monotheistic churches will generally regard the Lunars as heretics tainted by the inclusion of barbarian spirits and demons.

--
Donald Oddy
http://www.grove.demon.co.uk/