Magic in Glorantha?

From: Greg Stafford <Greg_at_...>
Date: Thu, 5 Feb 2004 08:01:23 -0800

Friends,

I know a couple of things about Issaries and would like to place a few bargaining chips on the table for this discussion.

Almost everything I am gong to mentio has been mentioned by someone, and my congatulations to you guys. But some people want to know my opinion, and here, in short it is.

The issue is about Issaries folk using their magic during trade, and the effects.

First, I am sure that no one on the list would expect that a fighter using his combat magic in a battle would be considered to be cheating.

No one would, I think, expect a Lhankor Mhy to ignore his magic when investigating something.

Same for Issaries. OF COURSE they use their magic during trade transactions. This means with other Heortlings, other Orlanthi, and any foreigners.

Is this cheating? Well, is it cheating for your weaponthane to use his magic in a fight against those troglodyte clansmen from over he hill? Of course not.

This is common and expected. It is what they learn the magic for. Do you see them gesturing and gesticulating before your transaction? Of course!

Is this unfair then, because your adventurer doesn't have any trade magic and is at the mercy of that trader's marvelous relationship with his god? Unfair? Of course not. What in the world are you doing trading anyway if you're not in the profession? That's what your clan merchant is for! Is it unfair when you rob his caravan and he's just a weakling merchant without any manly sword and spear skills? Will you hold back that flashing blade because he is so inept? After all, why doesn't he have a couple of real burley fighters to protect him?

It appears to me that some people, in their replies, seem to think that somehow or othr magic is somethign differnt and distinct from everyday life. It isn't. It is how things work. In a sense all of life is magical (so say the mystics, but let's not open that can of worms here!)

And kudos to those of you who brought up the issue of a stranger visitng a clan. You are absolutely right that one purpose of hosting them with a bath, clean room and good meal is so that the clan experts can get their magic cranked up to help the lord. It's not a big deal to be someplace an see everyone casting this, summoning that and working those feats.

YGWV. ---Greg Stafford