THE LOYAL HOUSECARL'S PRAYER

From: Guy Hoyle <ghoyle1_at_...>
Date: Thu, 14 Dec 2000 12:37:17 -0600

Let me try that agin, without the yucky formatting:

THE LOYAL HOUSECARL'S PRAYER
Though my soul be torn and ragged and my patrol be turned about Though the night wind chill me to my very soul Though temptation seek my eye and the stars no sight provide Give me just enough morning light to hold.

CHORUS
I will not lie me down, this rain a-raging I will not lie me down in such a storm
And if this night be unblessed, I shall not take my rest; My oath-bound duty I shall perform.

If the only well is bitter and I cannot quench my thirst I will drink the rain that falls so steady down If night's blindness be my gift, if from my fire the heat is rift I will strive against the Darkness and the doubt.

If my friends be drained and weary and it seems their hopes are lost
We shall the Night endure for sight of Dawn's first blossom, And if Death should take us now, it cannot contravene our vow; We'll stand on and face the morning light without him.

Lyrics copyright � Guy Hoyle 2000.
This song is based on Rod MacDonald's THE SAILOR'S PRAYER, which is a beautiful song that deserves to be quoted in full here. Weith very little modification, this could be called Dormal's Prayer.
THE SAILOR'S PRAYER
(Rod MacDonald)

Though my sails be torn and ragged and my mast be turned about Though the night wind chill me to my very soul Though the salt spray sting my eye and the stars no sight provide Give me just enough morning light to hold

I will not lie me down, this rain a-raging I will not lie me down in such a storm
And if this night be unblessed, I shall not take my rest Until we reach another shore

If the only water's salt and I cannot quench my thirst I will drink the rain that falls so steady down If night's blindness be my gift, if there be thieves upon my drift I will praise the dark that shelters me from them

If my friends be drained and weary and it seems their hopes are lost
There's no need for their bones on this blackened bottom And if death wait just off the bow, we need not answer to him now We'll stand on and face the morning light without him