Re: New occupation: Boatman

From: bethexton_at_...
Date: Thu, 05 Feb 2004 21:15:32 -0000

A couple of thoughts for you to take or leave as you like.

> Standard of Living:
> Common.

Sadly for the boaters, I suspect this would be 'minimal' Any reference I've seen to boatmen has had them viewed as poor, if not outright thieving riff-raff.

> Typical equipment:
> Sheeting knife, rope, reed pipe, wide-brim hat.
- fish hooks--I bet most of them do a bit of fishing on the side when there is no cargo to move.
- paddle or oar (everybody wants their own, that fits their calluses) - water resistant cloak (boats don't have shelter from the rain, and you probably sleep a lot of nights ashore beside your boat with only this for shelter)