Re: Re: New occupation: Boatman

From: donald_at_...
Date: Thu, 05 Feb 2004 23:21:43 GMT

In message <16418.46217.504065.832874_at_...> Viktor Haag writes:
>bethexton_at_... writes:
> > > Standard of Living:
> > > Common.
> >
> > Sadly for the boaters, I suspect this would be 'minimal' Any
> > reference I've seen to boatmen has had them viewed as poor, if
> > not outright thieving riff-raff.
>
>Hmm, I wondered about that, but figured their standard of living
>would be the same as your average sailor. I mean, I didn't
>really view sailor's as that much above what you describe either.

I can't see boaters being much worse off than the poorer farmers. In some ways the 'Common' standard of living seems to cover too big a range - perhaps wealth of 'Common' should be raised to 17 and a new catagory of 'Poor' with a wealth of 10 introduced to distinguish between people who has some status in their villiage and the rest.

--
Donald Oddy
http://www.grove.demon.co.uk/