Re: An Issaries Riposte

From: bethexton_at_...
Date: Fri, 06 Feb 2004 02:51:55 -0000

Here I disagree with both of you. When you are teaching someone it is usually not so effective just to be sloppy and do a poor job. Rather, it seems to me that the best teachers use their skills to the utmost....just with an objective other than "beat this poor schmuck." You don't want to throw it, that seems too easy. But you give them opportunities, and if they see the opportunity and figure out how to take advantage of it, they learn something.

> >Same thing goes for the Issaries trader. I'm
> >supposed to deal fairly
> >with my clan. So do I take the shirt off his back
> >by hitting him
> >with everything I've got? What do you think?
>
> What the heck are you trading within your own clan for? The clans
own most everything anyway, and that Issaries guy's job is to get swtuff so the clan can give it to you.

Obviously, but I given the general point of how do you deal with your regular customers (say a Harst Bronzetongue who regularly brings food from the steads to sell at teh city market)

Trading isn't quite analogous, but somewhat similar, to the training example. When an Issaries trader wants to give someone a fair shake, I think of course they use their magic in its most effective way, be it augment or otherwise. But they use it to ensure teh outcome that they want. Heck, it might be to give a GOOD deal to the other guy, but at the same time to convince him that he earned it. For what it is worth, the little I've talked to people who are used to haggling, they find it very disapointing when they are just given what they want, far better to have earned it. Or maybe you give him a good deal, and convince him that you did it out of the generosity of your heart (of course you had no ulterior motive, you are just a nice guy, really...). Or that he just happened to get lucky, and you really did want to get rid of that last basket of cabbages and head home before the rain starts. After all, the feats are things like "convince seller" not "concvince seller to sell at a ruinously low price." They can be used for many purposes, so what canny trader wouldn't use them?

> > Now it's some
> >Lunars. Do I pull out all the stops when screwing
> >these boys (in a
> >monetary sense) would feel so good? Despite the
> >fact that it might
> >get my stead burnt down and my kin enslaved?
>
> Of course you do. Those bastards are going to burn it down anyway,
and you might as well get a few licks in in advance. :)
> And how will they know if they are "cheated" anyway. What are they
trading for in the first place?

Hey, they are augmented by a lot of followers (all those soldiers lending AP with their "dangerous" or "Menacing" ability....) of course you use what you can :)

But more seriously, I'm sure lots of lunars get ripped off by not quite so stupid barbarians once. The next time they know to use their relationships to get their own trader to do the bargaining for them, if they really care.

> >If my chief is always using his command followers
> >to get me and
> >others to do things isn't he doing something wrong?
> > Shouldn't he be
> >able to persuade us without using magic? Must not
> >be much a chief.
>
> Maybe. So you better be careful about who you choose.

Does Nicole Kidman (or insert name of other celebrity here) need make up to look good? No. Does the fact that she never appears in public without make up mean that without it she is unattractive? No. It just means that she thinks she is best served by always looking her best.

When the chief uses magic to rally the clan to him, it is not mind control that they resent, the magic makes him that much more charismatic, that much more like the greatest leader of all. You rally to him because you want to. The only ones resentful are those who want what others have and resent them for it. Better banish those grumbling about the chief's magic :)

Which is not to say I think most people bother with magic all the time. There are days I wear kind of scruffy jeans to work, or can't be bothered running spell check. But when you care about something, you use everything you have, and in Glorantha that means magic.

All IMO, of course!

--Bryan