RE: Re: Dragonewt Plinths

From: matthew.cole_at_...
Date: Fri, 6 Feb 2004 14:06:39 -0000

You gave specific examples.
- I think they are really excellent and they made me laugh! Although it will take me a while to get my head around describing the dragonewt road like this. I'll post what I get here, in keeping with support to new players.

You wrote a "Response to all"
- apart from the headache bit, I feel this is a bit of a cop-out. I'm thinking more along the lines of an Esher coming to life and when/if you try to interact with it you cross into it's weird influence. The cross-over will be weird but when you are there, the feeling is perfectly natural.

modelling in virtual reality - if you did, you'd need some of those really cool and expensive 3DS-Max plugins!!

Did I ever see the TV version of the Hitchhiker'sGuide to the Galaxy?
-yep

you continued:
Borrow some ideas from the Infinite Improbability Drive. Possibly including Trillian's tannoy announcements, but in a hissy accent. Imagine those automated voices telling you what the next tube station is going to be, but in Auld Wyrmish.

Jane:
Of course, all of this is what you see with your right eye. Your left eye is seeing something different (maybe abstract forms in glowing lights? but geometry that makes sense, sort of like Tron?) And if they have the sense to close their right eyes, life will get easier for both them and you. (If they close *both* eyes, you need to sort out what sense they're using: left ear to hear with, left hand to feel with...)
- hmm interesting. I'm not sure about the whole 'eye thing' but I get your drift. Right and left sides of the brain would maybe be closer! But how to protray it?!! Hmmm

Ah yes, we have, haven't we? Not that I can put a face to the name even now, but I remember thinking "so that's what Matthew looks like".
- 5'10", long blond hair, very ugly, dressed in....? black! what else :)

me:what can be seen outside of the road. you:
(grin) How about this? If you're stationary and not at a Prescribed Exit, nothing (and then you can only see out of the exit, if that). If you're on the move, the "walls" get gradually more translucent as you speed up: but of course you can only see what's out there in glimpses as it goes past at speed. And what you're seeing is what's really out there but at a random point in time: past, future... Is it real? Is it prediction? If so, will those visions of 6-lane motorways across Dragon Pass come true? Who knows?

you:
Oh yes, use left-eye only and you can't see outside. You're purely in the Wyrms' World then.

Jane:
Simulation of this would require understanding of quantum mechanics that's way beyond me.

Jane:
>From what I remember of college multi-dimensional physics, in the RW we have three physical dimensions plus time, and to treat Time the same as the rest you multiply it by i, sqrt(-1). All four are at right angles to each other. So maybe in Wyrms' World, it's one of the physical dimensions that has to be multiplied by i to fit with the rest. Time is a standard dimension to them, one of the physical ones is to them as time is to us.

Unless of course it's more complicated than that... as "any fule no", there are 11 dimensions in total, but the extra ones are curled up so we can't see them.

Jane:
Yeah. Let's stick to narrative!
- I could always get our mate Stephen Hawking (or 'Stevie' as we call him down the pub!:) to narrate this bit for me. Added atmos!

Maybe I should take some drugs and take a ride on the tube with my notepad (or maybe a tape recorder)! Or maybe I should just take some drugs! :)

Cheers